Welcome to the College of Education Tutorial on Plagiarism at
Florida International University.
Given that plagiarism is a very serious problem in today's educational
institutions in the U.S., it is of utmost importance both to guide students
on the ways to prevent it and to make them aware of the consequences if they
do not follow the rules of copyright. The Internet has increased the risks of
plagiarism as it is easier to copy information directly from a website and submit
it as one's own. As long as students understand that correct attribution to
others' work or ideas is the basic and simple principle of plagiarism, the incidence
should be reduced.
Purpose and Content of Tutorial
The purpose of the tutorial is to be a preventive tool by teaching
students the fundamentals of plagiarism, offering examples of the different
types of plagiarism and how to recognize them, presenting strategies to avoid
accidental plagiarism, and explaining the policies at Florida International
University in relation to this issue. The tutorial addresses plagiarism from
the practical perspective. At the end of the tutorial, students will have the
opportunity to practice the concepts acquired by taking a quiz. The results
of the quiz can be printed out and used as a proof of completion of the tutorial.
The tutorial also offers a comprehensive research guide for
students to read further on the topic. Students can always ask their instructors
for additional clarifications and feedback.
- The learners will recognize if plagiarism has occurred by analyzing examples of texts and distinguishing the correct versions from the plagiarized ones.
- The learners will identify the techniques to avoid plagiarism like quotation, paraphrasing, and summarizing presented in this tutorial.
- The learners will define plagiarism according to the examples presented in this tutorial.
- The learners will recognize the elements involved in plagiarism by comparing original materials with the students' versions of those materials.
- The learners will interpret the FIU policies on plagiarism by indicating the sanctions of the university on that topic.
- The learners will recognize the types of plagiarism by categorizing examples.
The tutorial will guide you in the adequate order to be followed.
However, you can always return to a particular section by clicking on the left
Start Tutorial >>