FIU - Education , Florida International University

Facebook Twitter Flickr Youtube

Undergraduate Advisement

The Advising Center

The Advising Center in the College of Arts, Sciences & Education is home to all FIU students who intend to major in undergraduate education programs, and students interested in teacher certification. Within this context, the goals of the Advising Center are to provide quality advising, facilitate and monitor admissions, and disseminate accurate and timely information to its students.

For all undergraduate students, the Advising Center is the primary point of contact with the College before program admission. The Advising Center houses professional advisors whose primary responsibility is to support students’ academic success.  To that end, professional advisors are committed to working with students via the technological tools provided by the institutional initiative known as the GSI (Graduate Success Initiatives

Advising Center 
Ziff Education Building - (ZEB) 221  
Tel: (305) 348-2978  
Fax: (305) 348-3377
Hours: Monday – Friday; 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  

Who We Serve:

The Advising Center is responsible for serving the following classification of students:  

Undergraduate Education Students – Upon admission to the University, undergraduate students are assigned to a professional advisor.  Freshman students are required to attend Freshman Orientation and will meet their professional advisor at that time.  Transfer students are also strongly encouraged to participate in Transfer Orientation. 

Admitted College of Arts, Sciences & Education undergraduate students should use the institutional tool known as My_eAdvisor – an automated tracking system used exclusively between you and your professional advisor (

Certification Students – Students who have earned a baccalaureate degree in a non-teaching program and are now interested in acquiring state certification. Some of these students are seeking second careers and seasoned professionals in other fields. Students enroll under a non-degree seeking status.

Non-Degree Seeking Students – Non-Degree Seeking is an institutional category given to those students who are not admitted to a degree program at FIU. These students have less priority for registration than admitted students do. The goal of the Advising Center is to provide information regarding programs, admissions, etc., and direct the student into a degree program when appropriate.

Pre-Program Admission Advisement

Professional advisors in the Advising Center work with students in achieving minimum program admission criteria, complying with university regulations and completing the first two years of the undergraduate curriculum in order to insure students’ progress towards program admission to the College. Advising takes place during Orientations, or by individual appointment.

Transfer Orientations – scheduled three to four times before each semester during registration periods as part of the University’s Transfer Orientation Day and serve the FIU population of students recently admitted as junior level transfers to the College.

Individual Appointments – Appointments are available for all students seeking information, identification & admission to programs in the College by calling (305) 348-2768 or in person in ZEB 210.  

Post-Program Admission Advisement

Faculty advisors are assigned when students are officially admitted to a program.  The program admission process is initiated by the student with a professional advisor in the Advising Center.  This process typically takes place during the beginning of the student’s junior year after meeting the minimum criteria for a specific program. 

Depending on the individual SEHD department, selections of faculty advisors are made on a rotating basis or determined by the students’ area of specialization. Some departments choose to schedule students by individual appointments while others set aside blocks of time and advise students on a walk in basis. While formal faculty advising is not mandatory in the programs, it is strongly recommended that a student seek advisement once every semester to take advantage of the opportunity to discuss career plans and other professional issues with the student’s assigned faculty advisor.

Students are responsible for scheduling faculty advising sessions as needed. Students should realize that problems resulting from self-advisement might include delays in graduation.

MAJOR MAPS – maps are program of studies designed to help you graduate on time!  Major maps can be viewed through

Making Faculty Advising Appointments – Students should check with departmental staff to determine how their advisor wishes appointments to be made. Some faculty members prefer to make their own appointments and must be contacted by phone, in person, or through e-mail. Others prefer that departmental staff schedule appointments.

Academic Progress 

The Advising Center monitors academic progress for all its students based on the University’s academic status definition. The three levels of academic status are defined below:

Warning – An undergraduate student whose cumulative GPA falls below a 2.0 will be placed on “Warning,” indicating academic difficulty.

Probation – An undergraduate student on “Warning” whose cumulative GPA falls below a 2.0 is placed on “Probation,” indicating serious academic difficulty.

Dismissal – An undergraduate student on “Probation” whose cumulative and semester GPA falls below a 2.0 will be automatically dismissed from the program and the University. An undergraduate student will not be dismissed before attempting a minimum of 20 semester hours of coursework.

A registration hold is placed on all students under academic warning and probation status. Students must secure approval from their academic faculty and/or professional advisor in order to register. Students under dismissal status are notified by the Registrar’s Office and are prevented from registering unless authorized by the College. Dismissed students are entitled to petition the College for reinstatement. The reinstatement process is handled in the Advising Center for all undergraduate students. If the student is not reinstated, the dismissal is for a minimum of one year. After one year, the student may apply for readmission to the University in the same or a different program, or register as a non-degree seeking student. The student must meet the program admission requirements in effect at the time of application for readmission. 

Early Alerts – As a proactive approach to academic progress, professional advisors working in conjunction with Undergraduate Education, monitor student progress in selected gateway courses within the UCC curriculum.  The aim of  ‘early alerts’ is to reach out to students experiencing academic difficulties early on in the semester, providing one-on-one advising and appropriate referrals to other institutional units when necessary.

Minor in Education (PTO – Professional Training Option)

A minor program is an arrangement of courses enabling students to develop some degree of expertise in one area of study. To receive a minor in education, a student must complete a minimum number of education courses and must do so within the requirements of specific majors. Upon completion of the baccalaureate degree, the minor along with the PTO endorsement will be noted on the official transcript.

The minor offers the student an opportunity to meet the Florida Department of Education Professional Education course requirements. Course evaluations are subject to any Department of Education rule changes that may occur before an official certification application is filed.

Who is Eligible? 
On a space available basis and regardless of status, students can enroll in education courses however; the education minor is limited to students with majors in the following areas: Art, Dance, English, Mathematics, Modern Languages, Music, Sciences, (Biology, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Geology, Physics) Social Studies (Economics, Geography, History, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology) and Theatre.

Procedures for Declaring a Minor  
Obtain a Request to Add a Second Major or a Minor form from the Registrar’s Office or College of Arts, Sciences & Education Advising Center. Secure approval from the Dean, Program Director or Chairperson of current major. Submit form for processing to the College of Arts, Sciences & Education Advising Center (ZEB 210).


Graduation Information

University Requirements

  • Submission of a completed Application for Graduation within the set time limits. A new application must be submitted if your graduation is delayed.
  • 120 hours (or more depending on your major) with a 2.5 program GPA.
  • 40 hours of upper level courses (numbered 3000 and above).
  • Completion (by course work, CLEP credit, or AP credit) of General Education requirements (called UCC for native FIU students).

School of Education & Human Development Requirements

  • Completion of a minimum of 30 hours at FIU.
  • Completion of Professional Studies and Content Area courses with a GPA of 2.5 or higher.
  • Satisfactory completion of additional requirements in certain programs.
  • Satisfactory completion of Student Teaching. (initial teacher preparation programs).
  • Florida Teacher Certification Exam passing scores prior to Student Teaching (initial teacher preparation programs).

Graduation Application Deadline

Students who plan to graduate are required to submit an Application for Graduation form to the Registrar’s Office. The deadline date for each semester is printed in the Academic Calendar of the University, and is available at the FIU website. The deadline date is not negotiable. There is no charge for applying for graduation. Students who do not complete all requirements prior to the scheduled graduation must re-apply for graduation.

Graduation Honors Designation

Undergraduate students who have completed a minimum of 40 semester hours at FIU are eligible to graduate with the following designation:
  • Summa Cum Laude – cumulative FIU GPA of 3.90 and higher.
  • Magna Cum Laude – cumulative FIU GPA of 3.70 to 3.899.
  • Cum Laude – cumulative FIU GPA of 3.5 to 3.699.
  • Students who qualify for any of the honors above, and/or are members in good standing of campus honorary societies, are eligible to wear stoles or cords designating their membership and academic status with their graduation regalia at Commencement Ceremonies.

Commencement Ceremony

At FIU, a Commencement Ceremony is held every semester. Visit FIU’s Commencement page for specific information regarding schedule, tickets, fairs, etc.


Graduates’ diplomas are issued after graduation, and after final grades and final honors designations have been established. 


Teacher Certification for SEHD Graduates

Getting Your Florida Teaching Certificate

Many districts in Florida provide the service to new hires of submitting the Application for Certification to the Florida Department of Education as part of the hiring process. Graduates who are hired locally must themselves submit evidence of a degree-posted official transcript. Check with the district or private employer to be sure of the local procedures.

If you choose to submit the Application for Certification, the mailing address is: 
Florida Department of Education 
Bureau of Teacher Certification 
325 West Gaines Street, Room 201 
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0400 

Transcripts are ordered through the Registrar’s Office. There is a fee for each transcript ordered. Be sure to mark “After Degree is Posted” and indicate the semester and year. 

You will receive an application for Florida Certification during your student teaching semester, along with instructions for completion and guidelines for ordering transcripts.  

Certificate Reciprocity

Florida participates in the Interstate Agreement on Qualification of Educational Personnel. Students who complete a degree in the College of Arts, Sciences & Education will meet the requirements for an initial temporary/provisional certificate in any of the states listed below. They will be required to complete an application, pass any exam required by the states, and complete any new teacher-training program required by the state.



Teacher means a person whose primary function is to provide instruction in a school for preschool, elementary, middle, or secondary students. 

Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, 
Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, 
Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and District of Columbia.

Support Professionals

Support professional means a person, other than a teacher or an administrator, who is required to hold a certificate based upon not less than a baccalaureate degree; such as educational media specialist, guidance counselor, school psychologist, school social worker, etc. 

Alabama, Arizona, Georgia, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, West Virginia, District of Columbia.

An applicant’s eligibility for certification (based on the Interstate Agreement Contract) will be determined after an individual submits a completed application for Florida certification. The Interstate Agreement Contract applies to initial certification of classroom teachers and support professional personnel at the pre-kindergarten through secondary school level.


Advising Center FAQ's

What are the program admission requirements?
Completion of sixty semester hours, 2.50 GPA and FTCE-General Knowledge (for all initial teacher preparation programs) are the minimum requirements for most programs in the School of Education and Human Development.

What is the FTCE?
The Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE); the General Knowledge Test (GK), the Professional Education Test (PEd), and the Subject Area Examinations are the exit exams required for graduation and to be certified to teach in the State of Florida. For most students, the FTCE-General Knowledge Test (GK) is the ENTRANCE test required for program admission (Consult a professional advisor in the Advising Center for other possible testing options). FTCE booklets are available by visiting the state website:

What if I don’t meet the admissions requirements?
You may be classified as an Education student giving you the opportunity to meet the program requirements. However, students are expected to meet PROGRAM admission requirements within their first semester of their junior year.

What are the disadvantages of not having program admission?
An EDUCATION classification does not guarantee admission to specific programs in the College. Not having program admission may limit enrollment in program courses, eligibility for scholarship opportunities, and changes in program requirements. 

When do I get a Faculty Advisor?
Once admitted to the program, the department will notify you of your faculty advisor. Prior to program admission, advisement is done through the College’s Advising Center. Graduate students can seek advisement from the Graduate Program Director. 

I’m currently attending a community college and will transfer within a few semesters. Who do I contact for advisement?
The College of Arts, Sciences & Education Advising Center serves all transfer students who are in the process of program admission. Students are encouraged to set up individual appointments by calling (305) 348-2768.

How do I change my major?
Set up an appointment with a professional advisor to review program admission requirements and to complete a change of major form.

Do I need to make my own arrangements for field work?
No, all field work for initial teacher preparation programs including early field, field experience, internship, student teaching and practicum are under the auspices of the Office of Clinical Experiences. For complete details contact this office at 305-348-2082 located in ZEB 230 or visit

I am not an education major but I am taking an education course that requires field work. Do I need to meet the fingerprinting regulations?
Yes, all students enrolled in any education course requiring field work at a school site in Dade or Broward counties must comply with fingerprinting requirements. For detailed information contact the Office of Clinical Experiences at 305-348-2082 located in ZEB 230.

When should I apply for student teaching?
You should apply six months in advance. The student teaching application, detailed instructions, and specific deadlines are found at

Is a grade of C- acceptable?
For undergraduate students a grade of C- or less is not acceptable toward graduation in any required program of study course in the College of Arts, Sciences & Education, any college/program prerequisites, or any Gordon Rule writing/math requirements.

What is the minimum grade point average for graduation?
Undergraduate students must have a minimum overall grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 in order to graduate. Graduate students in initial teacher preparation programs must have a 3.0 GPA. 

Can I minor in education?
The education minor is limited to students with majors in the following areas: Art, Dance, English, Mathematics, Modern Languages, Music, Sciences, (Biology, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Geology, Physics), Social Studies (Economics, Geography, History, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology), and Theatre. On a space available basis and regardless of status, students can enroll in education courses. For complete information see “Minor in Education.” 

Why am I missing lower division courses if I transferred with an Associate of Arts (AA) degree from a Florida Community College?
The AA degree from a Florida Community College or a public State of Florida institution guarantees completion of the institution’s general education requirements. However, if the student was not following the common prerequisites of a specific discipline, she/he may not have all of the lower division courses required for that discipline. For detailed information seek advisement from the Advising Center.